[mju:'zi m] museum [pra'dju:s] produce l'bju:tef(u)l beautiful
[dei] day [3ei] they [pleis] place
[m'dAstnal] industrial I'kAltJarel] cultural [k3n'strAkJ(3)n] construction much
New Words and Expressions
scenery ['si:nan] пейзаж, ландшафт
sun-bathe ['sAnbeiS] загорать
equipment ['ikwipmant] оборудование
construction site [salt] стройка, строительная площадка
qualified( i'kwohfaid) квалифицированный
vocational school [vou'keiSansl] профтехучилище
local местный -ая, -ое
provide [pra'vaid] предусматривать (планом, программой)
I. I1 WAS BORN IN THE TOWN OF N*
I. he, she, Ann, Pete; 2. the city of ... , the town of ... , Moscow, London, Sochi
II. CAN YOU TELL ME THE WAY TO THE RAILWAY STATION 1. cinema, park, museum, theatre
III. YOU LOOK A BIT1 LOST*
1. a little; 2. sad, unhappy, displeased
IV. THE TOWN1 IS SITUATED ON BOTH BANKS OF THE RIVER.* 1. village, park, lake; 2. in the forest, near the lake, in the mountains
V. THERE IS1 A THEATRE* IN THE TOWN.
1. are; 2. a concert hall, a large stadium, a museum, many cinemas, a lot of parks and gardens, several vocational schools
TEXT A My Native Town
I come from the town of N. My family and all my friends live |s there now. I always look forward to my holidays because I can go to -mу native town and see my people and friends.
My town is situated on both banks of the river and the scenery around it is very beautiful. There are green trees and flowers along the streets and avenues.
There are sandy beaches and many people swim and sun-bathe there summer. There are many cinemas, a theatre and a concert hall in the town. Many famous Soviet and foreign actors and singers give their performances in the concert hall. My town is quite famous as many heroes of the Civil War and the Great Patriotic War were born there. You may learn about these people in the Museum of Local History1.
My town is the industrial and cultural centre of the region and its plants and factories produce very important equipment for |the construction sites of our country. Five vocational schools train qualified workers for the local and regional industries.
During my holidays I go to my native town. I take a bus at the bus station at 4 p.m. and arrive at my town at 9 p.m. just in time for supper. I may also travel to my town either by plane or by train. railway station is within a walking distance2 from my parents' house. The airport is rather far and it takes a little time3 to get to the centre of the town.
I like the central part of the town, its beautiful old square with a central garden and fine old buildings around it. I also like the new houses where my parents live now. Every year many new comfortable and beautiful blocks of flats go up there. The population of |he town is 200,000 people. The General Plan of the Development of he town4 provides for the construction of new and reconstruction of the o|ld plants and factories.
1 Museum of Local History - Краеведческий музей
2 within a walking distance - близко, можно дойти пешком
3 it takes a little time - зд. нужно немало времени
4 The General Plan of the Development of the town - Генеральный план раз-ития города
Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the railway station?
Oh, it's quite a long way1. You'd better2 take a bus.
Number 10. It will take you right to the station.
Where is the bus stop?
Just round the corner.
Thank you very much.
Don't mention it.
7. Выпишите слова, имеющие множественное число. Назовите форму их множественного числа:
garden, butter, coat, cheese, tree, apple, coffee, house, dress, grass, train, ice, music, spoon, construction site, centre, industry, plan, plant, physics, news, time, town
8. Вставьте there is (there are):
1. ... many cinemas, a theatre and a concert hall in the town. 2. ... someone in the room. 3. ... many people in the streets. 4. ... nobody there. 5. ... a lot of books in our school library. 6. ... a map on the wall. 7. ... two windows in the room.
9. Переведите на английский язык:
1. В городе есть песчаные пляжи. 2. В Москве очень много профессионально-технических училищ. 3. В квартире три больших комнаты. 4. В классе 35 учеников. 5. В комнате никого нет. 6. На улице много людей.
10. Придумайте 3 предложения по каждому образцу:
1. Speak a little louder, please.
2. Don't do it!
3. Let us go to the Zoo.
11. Закончите устно следующие предложения:
1. As far as I know he comes from ... . 2. I think you are looking forward to ... . 3. Vocational schools of my town train ... . 4. The railway station is situated within a walking distance from ... .
12. Опишите поездку в город или деревню (50 слов), используя лексику урока.
13. Задайте вашему товарищу вопрос What is the way to ... и попросите его дать ответ:
1. the railway station. 2. the airport. 3. the concert hall. 4. the theatre. 5. the construction site. 6. the Museum of Local History.
14. Расскажите о вашем родном городе / деревне (60 слов).
New Words and Expressions
urface ['s3:fis] поверхность heavy t. интенсивное уличное движение
total ['toutl] общий concil ['kaunsl] совет
Calcutta [ksl'kAta] Калькутта the Moscow Municipal С. Моссовет
) notice ['noutis] замечать to see to it that ... заботиться о том, disciplined ['disiplind] дисциплиниро- чтобы
restoration work реставрационные работы competition [,kompi'tijn] соревнование
A. Excuse me, but you look a bit lost3. Can I do anything for you?
B. Oh, please. I am going to the theatre but I am afraid I don't know the way. Can you tell me?
A. Certainly. You can get there by this street. But it is rather far.
B. Is there a bus to the theatre?
A. Yes. The bus stop is over there4. It won't take you long.
A. Conductor, will you tell me where to get off?
C. Where are you going? A. To the theatre.
C. O.K. Your fare, please4.
A. How much is the fare?
C. Fifteen pence, please. I'll tell you where to get off.
1 It's quite a long way = it's rather far - это довольно далеко
2 you'd better - вам лучше
3 you look a bit lost - у вас несколько растерянный вид
4 over there - вон там
5 Your fare, please. - Платите за проезд, пожалуйста.
I. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Where do you come from? 2. Where were you born? 3. Where does your family live? 4. Where is your town situated? 5. What is the scenery like in your town? 6. What is your town famous for? 7. Is there a Museum of Local History in your town? 8. Whom do vocational schools train? 9. How often do you travel to your native town? 10. How do you usually travel home? 12. What is the population of your native town (village, city)? 12. Is the railway station far from your parents' house? 12. Can you fly to your native town? 13. What is the central part of your town like? 14. What are new districts of the town like? 15. What does the General Plan of Development for your native town provide for?
Language Laboratory Test
2. а) Прослушайте записанный преподавателем на пленку текст и запишите по-русски перевод каждого предложения, б) Затем прочтите текст по учебнику и проверьте правильность перевода:
Peter is a student of a vocational school. His school trains quali-
fied workers for plants and factories. He comes from the town of N. His father and mother, his grandfather and grandmother live there. The town is situated in a very picturesque place on the banks of the river. There are many trees and flowers in the parks and gardens. Pe-ter likes the central part of the town with its fine old buildings. Peter's parents live in a new district of the town.
3. Заполните пропуски соответствующим словом или словосочетанием из текста:
1. The scenery around my native town is very ... . 2. There are many flowers along the streets and ... . 3. In summer people go to the ... . They swim and sun-bathe there. 4. Where is the theatre ... ? 5. Last week the students of our group went to the museum of ... . They learnt a lot about the history of the town. 6. The town of N. is an industrial and cultural ... of the region. 7. The library is not far. It's ... from my home. 8. His family lives in a new ... in Pushkin Street. 9. ... of the town provided for the construction of new plants and factories. 10. There are several ... schools in my town. They train qualified workers.
4. Переведите на английский язык:
1. Пит родился в 1965 году в городе ... . 2. Его родной город расположен на берегу живописной реки. 3. (Драматический) театр нашего города - один из лучших в республике. 4. В краеведческий музей ежедневно приходят сотни посетителей. 5. В Москве много профтехучилищ. 6. Моя семья живет в многоквартирном доме в новом жилом массиве. 7. Генеральный план развития города предусматривает строительство школ в нашем жилом массиве. 8. Я живу недалеко от театра. Туда можно дойти пешком. 9. Население моего родного города составляет 150 тысяч человек.
5. Заполните пропуски словами much, a lot of, many, (a) few, где необходимо:
1. Can you give me some pencils? - I can give you only one. I haven't got ... . 2. There are ... sportsmen in our college. They spend ... time at the stadium every day. 3. He knows ... about chemistry as he reads ... books on this subject. 4. ... students of our department speak good English. 5. On my way to the college refectory I met ... students of our group. 6. There are many English books in our library but very ... French ones. 7. I haven't got ... friends here. 8. I don't have ... free time. I am very busy.
6. Заполните пропуски словами little или a little, где необходимо:
1. He does not take a course in physics but he knows physics ... 2. I can't go there now. I have ... time. 3. There is ... time left before the bus arrives. 4. Do you speak English? - Yes, I do ... 5. Will you have ... cake? 6. He did what ... he could.
I. THE BIGGER1 BUILDING HOUSES THE COLLEGE OFFICE*.
1. smaller, biggest, nicer, red, grey; 2. Hall of Residence, refectory, library, workshops; main Assembly Hall, science rooms and laboratories
II. HE1 TAKES A COURSE IN TECHNOLOGY2 AT THE COLLEGE.3
1. Ann, she, Pete; 2. physics, chemistry, engineering, English; 3. university, institute
III. THE MOST COMFORTABLE1 HALL OF RESIDENCE* IS NOT FAR FROM THE COLLEGES
1. biggest, nicest, best, most famous, most interesting; 2. cinema, theatre, school, museum, building; 3. centre, park, stadium, square
TEXT A A Letter
Jim Wilson is a first-year student of a college. His friend Peter takes a course in engineering at another college. This is Jim's letter to Peter.
At last I've got a little time and can write a long letter about
my new life at college. As you know I am a student now. Though
formally the session begins on the 8th of September the classes start
later, on the 15th of September, because the enrolments take place a whole week. I am a full-time student1 doing technology. That means that I have to attend all morning and afternoon classes 5 days a week.
There are also part-time students (sandwich course students)2 who spend part of the year (6 months) studying at the college and working in industry for the rest of the year.
A few words about the college itself. There are many general and specialist courses3 at all four departments. Technology department which is the biggest department of the college, for example, offers various courses in technology and trains technicians and various machine operators for industries.
The main buildings of the College are in Queens Gardens. They house the College office, the library, the College Refectory, Staffroom and the main Assembly Hall. There are also two Lecture Blocks. The bigger one houses numerous classrooms, science rooms and laboratories for physics, chemistry and other subjects. The smaller Lecture Block houses technical rooms and workshops where classes of metalwork, technical drawing, engineering .drawing, applied mechanics and other specialist subjects take place.
Some students live in the College Halls of Residence. The nicest and the most comfortable Hall of Residence is not very far from the College. There are many notices of various students' clubs and societies on the College notice-boards. The Music Society and the College Choir, for example, invite all music fans to take part in their activities. There are also numerous sports clubs and associations for sports fans. So, as you see, the life of a student is quite busy:
1 full-time student - студент дневного отделения
2 part-time student (sandwich course student) - студент, изучающий укороченный курс и сочетающий учебу и работу
3 There are many general and specialist courses - Имеется много общеобразовательных курсов и спецдисциплин
A. Hullo, Jim! Haven't seen you for ages. What's the matter with you?
B. Hullo! Glad to see you. I am so busy now. You see, I am a student and the session has just begun.
A. Do you study at the College of Technology?
B. Yes, I do. I take a course in technology of metal.
A. What year are you in?
B. I am in the first year. I am a full-time student.
A. What about Ted? I think he studies at the same college.
B. Yes, he does. But he is a sandwich course student.
e. g. This dictionary belongs to me. - This dictionary is mine.
I. It belongs to me. 2. These books belong to us. 3. Which books belong to you? 4. I think this book belongs to my friend. Yes, that is her book. 5. How many of them belong to me and how many belong to the girls? 6. Look at these pictures! I think one belongs to Peter and another one belongs to her.
24. Прочтите текст и скажите, какие факты в нем не соответствуют содержанию текста В. Начните ваши комментарии словами: I think ... 'Я полагаю (думаю)' ... I am afraid, that ... 'Я боюсь, что ...' As far as I know ... 'Насколько я знаю ...':
Simon Carrot is a thirteen-year old boy. He studies in the third class at a Grammar school in Liverpool. He has a large family. His young sister, called Pal, is very intelligent.
Simon always puts his books in the same place and it is very easy for him to find them in the morning. So when he could not find either his books or his cap he was very angry. Monday was a terrible day for Simon. He had to wait ages for a bus and was late for school. So his teacher gave him five hundred lines.
25. Опишите ситуацию, изображенную на рисунке. Используйте слова и выражения урока:
rush out вылететь, быстро выйти missed the train опоздал на поезд borrow = I borrow ['barou] одалживаю bike it = I bike it еду на велосипеде pouring ['рэ:пп] rain проливной дождь
27. Составьте план текста A ("My Day"). Перескажите текст, пользуясь пла-
Jokes, Smiles, Laughs
Mother: Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do today. Bob: You are right, Mummy. Let us eat all the cakes this evening.
* * *
Mother: Get up, Bob! The sun is up and you are still in bed. Bob: Yes, but the sun goes to bed at 6 o'clock and I go to bed at nine.
* * *
Short-sighted father: It's nine o'clock now. It's bedtime. You must go home at once.
26. Прочтите это стихотворение и переведите его на русский язык:
Up in the morning, Get out of bed, No time for breakfast. Rush out instead, Forgotten my bag, Rush back again, Get to the station, Just missed the train.
Borrow a bike from A good old friend. Bike it to school in The pouring rain. Get to the corner, Hear the bell. I'm late for school As usual.
(by Carol Jones)
1. Найдите в тексте ответы на следующие вопросы:
1. What is Jim Wilson? 2. Is his .friend Peter a student too? 3. What course does Peter take? 4. When does the session usually begin in British colleges? 5. When do the classes start? 6. How long do the enrolments last? 7. Is Jim a full-time student? 8. What does a full-time course mean? 9. What is a part-time course? 10. What courses does the Technology department of Jim's college offer? 11. Whom does the college train? 12. When do the classes begin in the morning? 13. When do they end? 14. Where are the main buildings situated? 15. What do they house? 16. What do Lecture Blocks house? 17. Where is the most comfortable Hall of Residence situated? 18. What notices are there on the College notice-boards? 19. Is the life of a student busy? Is it interesting?
Language Laboratory Test
2. Прослушайте записанный преподавателем на пленку текст и постарайтесь понять его:
There are many colleges in Great Britain. They offer various courses in science and technology. The courses may be full-time and part-time. Full-time students attend all the classes (morning or afternoon) and they usually live in the Halls of Residence. In some colleges of Oxford and Cambridge all the students must live in Halls. Those colleges are the oldest in the country.
3. Заполните пропуски предлогами, где необходимо:
1. The session in British colleges begins ... the 8th of September.
2. The enrolment of students usually takes place ... a whole week.
3. We have classes ... 5 days a week. 4. He studies ... the college.
5. How long do the students work ... industry ... the third year?
6. There are many specialist courses ... our department. 7. Peter takes a course ... engineering. 8. According to the timetable we have two classes ... metalwork ... a week. 9. What year are you ... ? 10. Ann is ... the third year. She does engineering.
4. Переведите на английский язык:
1. Где он учится? - Я думаю, что он первокурсник. 2. Какие спецкурсы есть на вашем отделении? 3. Где находится общежитие вашего техникума? 4. М-р Браун сейчас в преподавательской. 5. Студенты технологического отделения занимаются в новом аудиторном корпусе. 6. Занятия по технологии металла проходят в мастерских на первом этаже. 7. Аня участвует в хоре нашего техникума. 8. Завтра у нас занятия в химической лаборатории. 9. Наш техникум готовит высококвалифицированных специалистов для промышленности. 10. Когда у нас машиностроительное черчение?
6. Посмотрите на рисунки и назовите степени сравнения прилагательных, данных в скобках:
This man is funny. This man is strong.
That man is (funny) than this one. That man is (strong) than this
Теперь преобразуйте по этому образцу данные ниже предложения:
1. This college is large. 2. This refectory is far. 3. This course in
technology is interesting. 4. This student is busy. 5. This Assembly
Hall is nice.
as ...as 'такой(же) ..- как', 'так(же) ... как' not so (as) ... as 'не такой ... как' twice as much as ... 'в два раза больше, чем ...' half as much as ... 'в два раза меньше, чем ...' five times as long as ... 'в пять раз длиннее, чем
7. Внимательно изучите таблицу. Затем переведите на русский язык следующие предложения:
1. Peter isn't as old as his friend. 2. Is English as difficult as German? 3. You can get there as quickly by train as by bus. 4. This laboratory is twice as wide as the one on the fifth floor. 5. Jim is not so tall as Peter. 6. The electron has an electric charge (заряд) as great as the charge of a proton. 7. This exercise is twice as long as that one. 8. I have got half as many books as you. 9. The distance to N. from here is five times as that to M.
8. Переведите на английский:
1. Этот спортсмен такой же высокий, как и тот. 2. Она бегает так же быстро, как и он. 3. Петр читает в два раза больше, чем АН-
на. 4. Наша столовая в два раза меньше, чем столовая в ресторане.
5. Эта беговая дорожка (running track) в два раза короче той.
9. Употребите нужную форму прилагательного:
1. David is (tall, taller, tallest) than Susan. 2. This worker is (good, better, best) skilled than the young workers. 3. Tom wants to buy a very (fast, faster, fastest) car. 4. Lesson 10 is (easy, easier, easiest) than Lesson 9. 5. Today is the (cold, colder, coldest) day of the week.
6. On Monday Mr. Smith is the (busy, busier, busiest) man in the college.
10. Дополните предложение обозначениями указанных дат: Today is the ... of ... nineteen ... .